The mission of St. Ann School is to follow the example of Jesus in building a community filled with respect, trust, and compassion, and to impart knowledge which will serve a lifetime. In partnership with parents, the Pastor, and the parish community, faculty and students create and maintain a challenging learning environment where Catholic Christian principles are learned and lived.
St. Ann Parish was established in 1913, and by the 1940s had grown to include so many families that the dream of opening a school started taking hold. In September of 1949, with great anticipation and hope for the future, the parish family of Saint Ann broke ground for a new church and school building. After ten months of construction, new church, rectory, and school buildings were dedicated on July 5, 1950. That fall, St. Ann School opened for its first academic year with 296 students, and the tuition was $35.00 for the year. The school was staffed by nine members of the Sisters of Saint Francis of Mary Immaculate, including the first Principal, Sister Mary Salome Gilmore. In 1957, it had become necessary to add five new classrooms and enlarge the church. The School reached its peak enrollment of 890 students in 1962. By the 1990s, a new dream had spread through the St. Ann community: a modern new church building on a separate site that would allow the school to expand within the original footprint. In 1997, the new St. Ann Church building was dedicated and the school population was able to spread out into four additional classrooms, a teacher’s lounge, multi-purpose space, and new office areas.
In November 2020, during the school’s 70th year and amidst the ravages and uncertainty of COVID-19, the Archdiocese informed us that we needed to raise $150k or face closure. Despite a valiant fundraising effort, we received the news in January 2021 that St. Ann School will close permanently at the end of the current school year. Read the letter from the Archdiocese of Chicago here.